Welcome to the web page for 2C and 2A
Teachers: Mrs Caldwell Mrs Adams Mrs Mottram
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Moretti Mrs Crawshaw
YEAR 2 NEWS...
Upcoming dates for your diary:
Wednesday 18th September, 5.30pm-6.30pm – Information Evening (Letter with details to follow)
Monday 23rd September - Friends of Cranborne (FOC) meeting
Sunday 29th September - FOC family photo day
Wednesday 2nd October - Harvest Assembly (children only)
Monday 14th October – Inset Day
Tuesday 15th October Open Morning
Friday 18th October - FOC Spooky disco
Tuesday 5th November - FOC Firework night
Wednesday 6th November - Individual and sibling school photo
Wednesday 13th November – Parent consultations 5pm - 8pm
Thursday 14th November - Parent consultations 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Friday 29th November – Occassional Day
Monday 2nd December - Christmas music concert 2:30pm
Tuesday 10th December – Year 2 Christmas Performance 2pm and 6:30pm
Wednesday 11th December - Christmas lunch day
Monday 16th December - FOC Christmas Fayre
Tuesday 17th December - Pantomime visit
Friday 20th December - Last day of term 1:15pm
Our Learning this term...
In Maths, the children will be building on counting and calculating skills, as well as exploring measures and graphs.
The children will also develop their understanding of place value and how this helps them to understand the number system and in turn, solve problems and calculations.
Place value is the understanding of the value of digits within numbers, e.g. in the number 45, the 4 is in the tens column and is therefore four tens (40) whereas the 5 is in the ones column and is simply worth 5.
We will discuss Maths in more detail during our information evening.
In English lessons this term, we will start by writing a recount about our summer holidays, particularly focusing on correct sentence structure and basic punctuation.
We will then be learning about fairy tales. We will be looking at their structure, traditional characters and language used through reading and role play. We will build vocabulary banks together to use when writing our final piece, which will take the form of a diary entry from a character's point of view.
After half term we will be learning to write an explanation text on the topic of the Great Fire of London. We will also write our own Christmas poem at the end of term.
This term, the children will be investigating ‘changing materials’. In this topic, children will have an opportunity to recognise properties of materials such as hardness, strength and flexibility. They will then be able to move on to comparing materials in terms of these properties to understand that the shape of materials can be changed!
We will learn about different uses for materials and how their properties determine how they are used.
Topic (History and Geography)
This half-term in Geography, we will be using maps and atlases to investigate the world, the United Kingdom and Potters Bar. We will also look at grid references, compass directions and will be creating our own maps.
After half-term, we will be learning about the ‘Great Fire of London’ in History. We will look at causes and effects of the Great Fire and how the buildings, uniforms and equipment used have changed over time. If you are planning any trips to London, you may like to make time to visit the Monument and look for Pudding Lane. The Museum of London is also a great place to visit to support learning in this topic.
- P.E. – The children will have outdoor PE on a Monday afternoon and their indoor PE lesson is on a Friday afternoon.
- Homework will be given out on a Thursday and is expected to be handed in by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Children will have a weekly spelling test. The Children will be tested on a Friday. Please help your child to learn their spellings at home using the look, cover, say, write, check technique.
- Please encourage your child to read everyday where possible and please initial your child's reading record.
- Please also encourage your child to use Mathletics. If you need your child's log-in please speak to one of the staff. The link to the website is below:
- In addition to Mathletics, we have now invested in a learning platform called Purple Mash. The children will have an individual log-in for this website where they can access supporting activities and games for all areas of the curriculum.
- If you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.