Welcome to the web page for 2C and 2A
Teachers: Mrs Caldwell Mrs Adams Mrs Mottram
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Moretti Mrs Crawshaw
YEAR 2 NEWS...
Upcoming dates for your diary:
13th January - Friends of Cranborne meeting
w/c 20th January - Penny war week
14th February - FOC Disco
5th March - World Book Day
9th March - Parent Consultations - 3:30pm - 6pm
11th March - Parent Consultations - 5pm - 8pm
12th March - 2A Class Assembly
19th March - 2C Class Assembly
20th March - FOC pampering evening
31st March - Easter Egg Hunt
Our Learning this term...
We will be starting the term by learning how to re-balance a calculation to make it easier e.g.
9 + 7 re-balanced to 10 + 6
23 + 11 re- balanced to 24 + 10
We will also be learning about money (making combinations and finding change), comparison (difference, fewer) and measures (estimating and measuring using different scales). Following this, we will be moving onto written addition and subtraction methods, time, doubling, halving, multiplication and division.
This term in English, we are going to be learning about how to write in many different styles. We will be covering non-fiction reports, poetry, African narrative (linked to our Geography learning) and we will be finishing the term by consolidating these skills and applying it to a book. Your child’s English targets are updated regularly and therefore they will be working towards achieving them through their writing across the curriculum.
In our Science learning, we are going to be learning about animals including humans. The children will be noticing that animals and humans have offspring which grow into adults. They will also learn the importance of basic necessities such as food, water, air and exercise, as well as understanding the different types of food available. We will be applying this to ourselves and how we can stay strong and healthy.
Topic (History and Geography)
During the Spring Term in History, we will be learning about famous people from the past and how their accomplishments have influenced our lives today. As part of this, we will be comparing Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole. In English lessons we will focus on Mary Anning.
In Geography, we will be investigating where locations are in the world and using geographical vocabulary. The children will recognise how places are changing and will compare daily life in the U.K. with that in Kenya. They will explore how the two localities differ.
- P.E. – The children will have outdoor PE on a Tuesday afternoon and their indoor PE lesson is on a Wednesday afternoon.
- Homework will be given out on a Thursday and is expected to be handed in by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Please encourage your child to read everyday where possible and please initial your child's reading record.
- Please also encourage your child to use Mathletics. If you need your child's log-in please speak to one of the staff. The link to the website is below:
- In addition to Mathletics, we have now invested in a learning platform called Purple Mash. The children will have an individual log-in for this website where they can access supporting activities and games for all areas of the curriculum.
- If you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.