Welcome to the web page for 2CJ and 2B
YEAR 2 NEWS...
Upcoming dates for your diary:
Wednesday 3rd October - Harvest Assembly
22nd October – Meet the Teacher Parent Consultations
5th November – Fireworks Night
Tuesday 11th December – Year 2 Christmas Performance
Please click on the link below to access our Harvest song!
Our Learning this term...
Our Maths learning will focus on regrouping one ten for ten ones. We will be explaining that in our number system we use groups of 10 then 100 to organize our numbers. We will be using the base 10, number lines and also coins to represent this in different ways.
This half term we will continue to refine our key writing skills. We will be ensuring that the children are still using finger spaces, correct letter formation, capital letters, full stops, conjunctions, adjectives and varied punctuation. A strong focus for this year group is handwriting- we would really appreciate your support with this at home!
This term the children will be investigating ‘changing materials’. In this topic, children will have an opportunity to to recognise properties of materials such as hardness, strength and flexibility. They then will be able to move on to being able to compare materials in terms of these properties to understand that the shape of materials can be changed!
This half-term, in Geography we will be using maps and atlases to investigate the world, the United Kingdom and Potters Bar. We will also look at grid references, compass directions and create our own maps.
Art and Design Technology
In Art, the children will be using a variety of media and developing their skills to create pictures of natural forms - such as flowers and fruits. They will also print their own wallpaper. Mrs Dibden will also be working alongside Year 2 staff during the Autumn Term to enhance children’s Art skills.
The children will learn how to give instructions that direct an object to a specific location. This is the early stages of creating a simple computer program and will be further developed as they go trough the school.
- P.E. – The children will have PE on a Tuesday and Friday. (Weather permitting.)
- Homework will be given out on a Friday and is expected to be handed in by the following Wednesday at the latest.
- Children will have a weekly spelling test. The Children will be tested on a Tuesday. Please help your child to learn their spellings at home using the look, cover, say, write, check technique.
- Please encourage your child to read every day where possible and please initial your child's reading record.
- Please also encourage your child to use Mathletics. If you need your child's logon please speak to one of the staff. The link to the website is below:
- Please look at our class news letter, which we send out to parents in the first week back for more information.
- If you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.
Please look at our information evening presentation for more information...