Welcome to the web page for 2CJ and 2B
YEAR 2 NEWS...
Upcoming dates for your diary:
FOC Easter Egg Hunt - Tues 2nd April
End of Spring term - Fri 5th April at 1.15pm
Start of Summer term - Tues 23rd April
St George's Day (children can wear Cubs/Beavers/Rainbows/Brownies uniform) - Tues 23rd April
Swimming at Furzefield - from Fri 26th April
Southend Trip - Weds 12th June
Our Learning this term...
Our Maths learning will focus on finding 'the parts and the whole' using different methods. We will be having lots of fun using the Cuisinaire rods to explore the bar model and we will be using the cherry model too!
We will then move onto understanding the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction.
You may be able to help at home by revisiting some key facts. For example:
- 6 + 3 = 9
- 9 – 3 = 6
- 9 – 6 = 3
This half term we will be focusing on non-chronological reports through studying the book titled 'Great Women Who Changed The World' by Kate Pankhurst and 'Stone Girl, Bone Girl' by Laurence Anholt. We will be picking apart lots of language and grammatical features such as noun phrases, conjunctions and suffixes so it would really help if you could help your children spot these when they are reading with you at home.
In our Science learning, we are going to be looking at Animals including Humans and Plants. In first topic, the children will be noticing that animals and humans have offspring which grow into adults, learning about the importance of needing basic things such as food, water, air and exercise, and understanding the different types of food we have. In our Plants topic, we will be observing and describing how seeds grow into mature plants and carrying out an experiment to find out what plants need to survive and stay healthy.
Topic (History and Geography)
During the Spring Term in History, we will be looking at Famous People from the past and how their accomplishments have influenced our lives today.
In Geography, we will be investigating where locations are in the world, using geographical vocabulary. The children will recognise how places are changing and will compare daily life in the U.K. with that in Kenya. They will explore how the two localities differ.
- P.E. – The children will have PE on a Wednesday and Friday. (Weather permitting.)
- Homework will be given out on a Thursday and is expected to be handed in by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Children will have a weekly spelling test. The Children will be tested on a Tuesday. Please help your child to learn their spellings at home using the look, cover, say, write, check technique.
- Please encourage your child to read every day where possible and please initial your child's reading record.
- Please also encourage your child to use Mathletics. If you need your child's logon please speak to one of the staff. The link to the website is below:
- Please look at our class news letter, which we send out to parents in the first week back for more information.
- If you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.