Welcome to the web page for 2CJ and 2B
YEAR 2 NEWS...
Upcoming dates for your diary:
Week commencing 24th June - Sex and Relationship Education
Monday 24th June - Summer Music Concert
Friday 28th June - Sports Day
KS2 Sports Day - 9.30-12.10pm
KS1 Sports Day - 1.30-3.00pm
Thursday 11th July - Transition Morning
Thursday 11th July - Exhibition Evening 5pm
Sunday 14th July - FOC Summer Fayre 12pm
Week commencing 8th July - End of Year reports
Friday 19th July - Last day! Finish at 1.30pm
Our Learning this term...
In Maths, the children will be learning all about Fractions! The children will be identifying and exploring 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and 3/4 of amounts and shapes. We will be exploring this not only practically, but pictorially too as the children gain confidence. Next, we will be recapping our previous learning on telling the time and we will now look at telling the time to the nearest 5 minutes. Please continue to recap the topic of time with your children as this can be a tricky area for them.
To end the year, we will be teaching the children about shape and geometry. Year 2 will be identifying the properties of 2D and 3D shape, whilst learning about symmetry.
This half term we will be focusing on instructional writing and we will be learning this through a book called 'How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth'. The children will be writing their own set of instructions linked with their DT work on making an aquarium. Following that, we will be writing explanations and finishing the term on looking at Poetry!
Please continue to help your child learn their weekly spelling words. This term, there is a real focus on ensuring the children are applying the spellings that they are learning on a weekly basis. At the moment, your child will receive 10 Year 1 and Year 2 Common Exception words (words that cannot always be phonetically sounded out).
Reading is also a vital part of what you can do to help at home. Building their fluency, sight recognition of words and comprehension will all in turn aid their English writing.
In our Science learning, we are going to be looking at Living Things and their Habitats. We are going to begin the topic by identifying which habitats there are and which kinds of animals live there - we may even venture out over to the pond here at Cranborne and investigate what animals and plants live there! Following this, we will be exploring our ground even further as we get up close and personal with minibeasts in their microhabitats!
Topic (History and Geography)
During the Summer term in History, we will be looking at the changes in our own lives and the lives of others. We are linking this into learning about the seaside and exploring the types of holidays that we have now, compared to the holidays that their parents or grandparents had! To aid there understanding further, we will be visiting the Sealife Centre in Southend.
In Geography, we will be learning about the human impact on the environment - a good foundation of knowledge before learning about the Rainforests in Year 3!
- P.E. – The children will have outdoor PE on a Tuesday afternoon and their indoor PE lesson is Swimming at Furzefield. This will take place on Friday mornings - 2CJ 9am-10.30 and 2B 9.30-11am.
- Homework will be given out on a Thursday and is expected to be handed in by the following Tuesday at the latest.
- Children will have a weekly spelling test. The Children will be tested on a Tuesday. Please help your child to learn their spellings at home using the look, cover, say, write, check technique.
- Please encourage your child to read every day where possible and please initial your child's reading record.
- Please also encourage your child to use Mathletics. If you need your child's logon please speak to one of the staff. The link to the website is below:
- Please look at our class news letter, which we send out to parents in the first week back for more information.
- If you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask.